- ABSENCE / ILLNESS
Absence line is available 24 hours a day.
2. EXPECTED ABSENCE If a student knows ahead of time that he/she will be gone for an extended period, please stop at the office prior to the absence to fill out an advance absence form. Students will be given one week following their absence to make arrangements to complete missing assignments.
POLICY FOR REQUESTING HOMEWORK FOR STUDENTS MISSING SCHOOL
Assignments will be provided to any student missing three or more days via this procedure.
- The parent or the student request assignments from the office.
- Assignment request forms are dated and forwarded to the teachers via their mailbox.
- The teachers complete the form indicating the assignment or explaining the lack of an assignment and return it to the office by noon the next day.
- The parent can pick up the forms after noon on the day they are due in the office.
EARLY RELEASE / LATE ARRIVALS OF STUDENTS
Students being dismissed early from school will be released through the office. Parents must sign them out.
Students arriving after the beginning time schedule (7:45 a.m.) must be signed in at the office before proceeding to their class.
- 1. Students are given five minutes passing time to gather their materials and use the restroom before reporting to class. If they do not report to class on time, they are marked tardy. Once they have accumulated three tardies, the teacher warns them that they have exhausted their free passes for the trimester, and a call home is made by the teacher.
- 2. In the event that a student should receive a fourth tardy in one class, the teacher will call home, and the student is referred to the office where they are scheduled for a one hour after school detention.
- 3. Should the student continue to come late to class, additional detentions will be assigned. Students are given a clean slate at the beginning of each trimester.
Students are allowed 4 passes per trimester, per class. Students must ask for permission and sign in and out before leaving the classroom.
Renton Jr. High Homework Policy
Homework & Makeup Work Plan
Homework is important to student learning at Renton Junior High School. The purpose of this homework plan is to guide teachers, parents and students in ensuring that homework is meaningful and supports the learning experience for all students. It also provides a grading outline for the completion and grading of assignments.
Homework is any activity or assignment directed by the teacher to be performed outside the classroom that may include practicing skills learned in class, reading, studying, projects, or completion of assignments.
Rules for Homework
At Renton, we pledge that homework will consist of activities or assignments that students can complete independently with minimal adult help within a reasonable time allotment. Homework assignments are purposeful and relevant.
Doing Our Part: Teacher Guidelines
All homework assignments will be posted on MiStar/ZANGLE in “Classroom News” the day they are assigned with due dates.
Homework will be reviewed, discussed and returned, if collected, in a timely manner keeping in mind that teachers work with over 100 students each day and assignments cannot be expected to be graded the day they are received.
Missing assignments will be identified on MiStar/ZANGLE when assignments are graded.
The teacher will (also) consider a student’s Individualized Education Plan where appropriate in regards to homework.
It is suggested by the staff at Renton that families do the following to ensure that students are as successful as possible.
- Provide a quiet space and basic materials for homework completion.
- Teach techniques that can help children allocate their time wisely, meet their deadlines, and develop good personal study habits.
- Monitor time management and productivity.
- Review expectations and homework assignments with students as needed.
- Communicate with teachers as soon as possible when your student has demonstrated consistent difficulty on homework assignments.
For students to be as successful as possible, it is recommended that they follow the following guidelines.
- Complete homework as assigned by the due date.
- Record assignments in agendas when assigned by your teacher.
- Ask questions before leaving class if you do not understand what is being asked of you.
- Use class time and time at home wisely to complete assignments.
If you anticipate your child being out of school for at least three days, then contact the school office in accordance with the policy set forth in the Renton Junior High School Student Handbook.
Students who miss school work because of an excused absence shall be given the opportunity to complete all assignments and tests that can be reasonably provided. As determined by the teacher, the assignments and tests shall be reasonably equivalent to, but not necessarily identical to, the assignments and tests missed during the absence. Students shall receive full credit for work satisfactorily completed within a reasonable period of time.
Students suspended from school shall be given assignments to complete for full credit.
Grading Homework Assignments/Receiving Credit
Homework assignments will have an appropriate due date when assigned. Students will receive credit based on the time allotment listed below:
- Turned in on due date: Student receives full credit of graded assignment.
- Turned in 1 to 5 days late: Student receives 70% of grade earned. The grade will be calculated as follows: Grade Earned multiplied by .7 = Grade Recorded (for example, if a student receives a 90% on the assignment, but turns it in 1 to 5 days late, their grade will be calculated like this; 90 x .7 = 63%)
- Any assignment turned in more than 5 days late will not be given any credit. Completion of this homework is suggested to keep students on track with classroom learning.